The Dark Alliance

• 18 April, 2024, 09:03:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TS3 server has a new IP, read here for more info (only available to TDA members)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Read a book  (Read 33430 times)

climbatize

• Officers
  • Forum Master
Re: Read a book
« Reply #15 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »

Inferno is a kick ass book, read it in just a few days which doesn't happen to often when it comes to me. Just couldn't put it down once I started reading, fell asleep with the book in me hands for 3 straight evenings. :)

Indeed it is , i just read it recently =)

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #16 on: 30 December, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »

Sweet, I just finished a new book by Sam Bourne This one. Imo it was kind of a mix between Dan Brown and Henning Mankell (Swedish author), I liked it a lot.
Dennis "Sagafar"
GW2 - Ossi Kvarn and some other Ossi's with different last name, oh and Medvind and a few other randoms.
LotRO - Kaio, Kaiho, Ossi, Keijo
DAoC - Kod, Phule, Kawa, Sax and like 20 others

delay

• Official Blametaker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • Rest in peace, Dotrella and JP.
« Reply #17 on: 30 December, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »

Looks interesting :)

Reading Polar Star by Martin Cruze Smith in-between paying attention to the female unit and playing STALKER. I like it! I think I may have to read all the Arkady Renko books, now.
DAoC US: Tonje, Delayed, Lynvingen
DAoC Uthgard: Asmegin, Lynvingen

() ()
(f;.;)f
(")(")

[Chat] Lembit: "if delay aint coming back is there a point of going on?"
Quote from: joap
tks jack, should i spank delay anyway?

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #18 on: 30 December, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »

I'd like to promote another swedish author by the name of Henning Mankell.

I've read basically all of his books with Kurt Wallander in it, reading his final one with K. Wallander in it right now and it's just amazing. He's also written a bunch of other stories, but take a look for yourselves.
Dennis "Sagafar"
GW2 - Ossi Kvarn and some other Ossi's with different last name, oh and Medvind and a few other randoms.

gersimi

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
    • Utforska.nu
« Reply #19 on: 31 December, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »

Tips from me:

Conn Iggulden - The Gates of Rome and the rest of the series.

If you are fascinated by Egyptian mythology and pharaohs like me, :) you should read books by Pauline Gedge, such as Child of the morning.

Another book that is clearly worth reading is Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors by Piers Paul Read. The book documents the story of the 1972 crash of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 in the Andes mountains. Read it!

Muylae

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #20 on: 31 December, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »

Tips from me:

Conn Iggulden - The Gates of Rome and the rest of the series.

i've read the emperor series, and his series about the mongols.  first book was nice, by the time i reached the last one, they bored me.

if you like that sort of stuff, you might want to check out Robbert Harris's  Imperium series about the orator Cicero.

EchelonIV

• TDA member
  • Forum hasbeen
« Reply #21 on: 31 December, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »

speer reloading manual 14 is the last one for me ... but i guess that isn't a kinda book one read from one side to another :D

Muylae

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #22 on: 20 January, 2014, 02:26:50 AM »

Isaac Asimov (one of the two Sience Fiction writers that i enjoy, the other being Arthur C Clarck, they are the only ones who actually understand science, that i'm aware off.  all (well, at least the ones i know) the other writers are science fantasy) : The Complete Robot ("I, Robot" and all that)
Richard P Feynman : Quantum Electro Dynamics (hard science with a capital letter), Don't you have time to think (non science, basically a collection of his correspondence with various people, probably not interesting unless you are a feynman fan boy)
Lawrence M Krauss : A universe from nothing (soft science, no formulas involved, easy to read, well, that's probably relative, the concept might be a bit mind blowing)
Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose : The nature of space and time (hard science with a capital letter, some of the math is beyond me).

that's my reading list while in australia, i might need more books, depending upon how much dead time i have.

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #23 on: 20 January, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »

If you like detective/criminal novells I'd like to recommend Lars Kepler, So far I've read two of his books, The Hypnotist and The Fire Witness, both are really awesome if you don't mind some scary stuff. I enjoy reading Horror, Thrillers and stuff like that if it's well written and Lars handles the story with such strength and awareness, I guess it's not for the faint hearted people but if thrillers is your cup of tea then you found a new author for sure.

Gonna read The Paganini Contract as soon as I'm done with a book called The Dying Detective by Leif G.W Persson.
Dennis "Sagafar"

delay

• Official Blametaker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #24 on: 23 January, 2014, 11:38:09 PM »

I tested out my newly received e-book reader today by reading the Call of Chtulhu after finishing Stalin's Ghost in paper format. Looks pretty decent! Not heavy, hardly any reflex/shine in the screen. Will try finishing Mrs. Raffles next... Free ebook classics :D

() ()
(f;.;)f
(")(")

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #25 on: 25 January, 2014, 02:00:30 AM »

E-book u say, you read it on yer PC or what? Tablet maybe??
Dennis "Sagafar"

SIzzling

• TDA member
  • Forum hasbeen
  • NomNom Pie...
    • CampSpy
« Reply #26 on: 25 January, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »

E-book u say, you read it on yer PC or what? Tablet maybe??

think he reads eBooks on his eReader. Like a kindle? Special device mostly for just reading books. They have this screen that doesn't give off light so it's much calmer to your eyes to read it and it doesn't reflect when looking at it from an angle.
TDA Officer (multivira.7925)
IGN: Twirling, Sizzling, Twiddling, Sprinkling, Shrouding, Scything, Slinking, Scourging, Stomping

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #27 on: 25 January, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »

Ah, never seen one, nor have I heard bout em either =)

I'm not such a tech freak, I prefer a regular book as I love to read in bed before I'm gonna sleep. Would prolly just drop and break an e-reader :P
Dennis "Sagafar"

delay

• Official Blametaker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #28 on: 26 January, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »

You're both right :)

A Kobo Glo, behaves mostly like a book, light-wise. This particular model also has an optional backlight, though. I didn't want a Kindle because I've heard too many horror stories about how scoundrelly Amazon are.

I tried reading on my phone for a time, but the screen really is too small and too power hungry.

My library currently contains 88 free eBooks (such as those shown above), mostly classical works from Project Gutenberg. That in combination with being a poor student seems to be the kick in the hind that I need to actually read such books, so it's quite all right. Had never heard of the book I'm currently reading (Blue Lights), and I would probably continue not having read Call of Chtulhu for several years if it hadn't been freely downloadable :)

Would prolly just drop and break an e-reader :P

I guess that's an important consideration if one ponders acquiring one :)
I don't think I've ever fallen asleep over a book (or anything else, except once - as a young scout - over a bowl of porridge)...
« Last Edit: 26 January, 2014, 07:44:55 PM by delay »

() ()
(f;.;)f
(")(")

Muylae

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #29 on: 04 February, 2014, 02:34:07 AM »

I don't think I've ever fallen asleep over a book (or anything else, except once - as a young scout - over a bowl of porridge)...

i guess you don't go to bed with a book, a glass of whisky and a sleeping pill as standard procedure like me oO.  there are few things i hate more than laying in my bed, beeing awake for half an hour or more and think about stuff i don't want while waiting to fall asleep.

but i guess that would be 'with a book', not 'over a book'.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

BlackRain , 2006 by Crip

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 28 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal