The Dark Alliance

• 29 March, 2024, 02:16:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TS3 server has a new IP, read here for more info (only available to TDA members)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wod's BBQ Thread  (Read 79850 times)

Aerendur

• Sneaky Bastard
  • TDA member
  • Forum Master
Re: Wod's BBQ Thread
« Reply #195 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:34:14 PM »

Haha, it does seem like I'd want one. But thats quite a price to pay, so still considering my options. Using a very basic bbq atm. So I'm still looking into different options and pricepoints.  8)

Would indeed like to hear what Jor thinks. Especially thinking about the baking and outdoor options.

Mambopoa

• The Drunk British Guy
  • Officers
  • Forum Master
« Reply #196 on: 16 September, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »

You can get other brands of kamado ceramic bbq grills. So if that is the sort you want it is worth a good look around.

;D
My name is Wod, but most people just call me Wod.

Mid:
Clanger, Wodster, Gwig, Playernotfound, Fokke, Horth, Eter.

Former Hib for my past sins!
Awod,Dowa,Bearian,Mambopoa,Hijambo

Introducing binge drinking to the world!

Joric

• TDA member
  • Forum Master
  • Let me guess... problems.
« Reply #197 on: 23 September, 2020, 06:58:17 PM »

Hey there,
I finally got the darn snake/minionring working. Still dislike the smell and the coal-flavour is mjeh, but I got something to work with. Basically I needed more coal to get things running smooth and a higher temp at the start. Rule of thumb: 2 rows of coal for the kettle, add more for the meat. And you need that water-pan. With some good amount of charcoal to start and 2 rows of coal the kettle sits at 125°C on the internal thermometer and around 100-105°C on grate level. 2,5 rows give 125-140°C at the lid and around 105-110°C at the grate WITH ribs in the kettle. I'll try 3 full rows with 2,5-3kg pork this weekend and will see, how it goes.

@Aerendur
In german bbq forums they say "a kettle can do everything" and to my experience it really is a good allrounder. With a pizza stone you can bake bread - I did it a lot and it works quite well most of the time. They even sell "pizza rings"  (just google it) and people posted videos of burning wood sticks to get to and over 400°C. I am ok with a more casual setup, as having good pizza dough is equally important to me - not just the oven ;)
Classic grilling is ok on a kettle, I just dislike the smaller distance from coal to meat compared to my other grill.
BBQ... well, I still experiment, but it works. Charcoal with continuous refill works, but I want a more unattended approach with a more stable temperature. I only got that working with briquette.

Happy grilling!
I hum along and make things hum...
Uthgard: Jorunn / Skald
ESO: Yuto / Templar
GW2: Jo Ric / Thief, Irwy / Guardian, Ngumi / Warrior

Joric

• TDA member
  • Forum Master
« Reply #198 on: 26 September, 2020, 09:19:12 AM »

Pulled Pork
Started yesterday evening 22:45 after I noticed, that my test-snake didn't shut off with closed vents. So I thought I might as well let the thing run over night. 3,3kg pork. I used charcoal all the way and am really, really happy about that. Middle right image: 7:30 in the morning, closing in to 9hrs into the cooking. 70°C core temp - wrapped it in foil and let it sit on the grate as long as it needs.

Have a nice weekend!

Update: I expect a core temp of 81°C around 12:00. Looking good so far.

Update: 15:00 core temp is 95°C - done. A bit over 16 hours cooking time. Guests arrive in 2-3 hours. I am ready to serve some meat by then :D
« Last Edit: 26 September, 2020, 03:05:30 PM by Joric »

Joric

• TDA member
  • Forum Master
« Reply #199 on: 27 September, 2020, 09:46:50 AM »

The final result: 1/4 pita bread, some salad, the pulled pork and some BBQ sauce. Yummy.

Crust could have been a little darker, but to me it was ok. I didn't use glaze or BBQ sauce in the end - everybody could season to its own taste and preference.

I am happy with the result, but I am out of charcoal now :(
« Last Edit: 27 September, 2020, 09:50:03 AM by Joric »

Joric

• TDA member
  • Forum Master
« Reply #200 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:51:24 PM »

Made some pulled pork and pulled beef this weekend. Kettle ran for 28 hours due to me being silly. The result is ok, though.

Mambopoa

• The Drunk British Guy
  • Officers
  • Forum Master
« Reply #201 on: 23 September, 2021, 11:48:23 PM »

Wow so this been nearly a year since I last posted.

I have been speaking to a friend about a new off set smoker, or weber smoky mountain.

Did a cook over the past weekend, neighbour's son wanted to see stuff being cooked.
So did my usual, ribs with my rub, pork pepper and salt, the my brisket.
I also cursed some brisket over the past week, so that became corned beef and pastrami.

Sorry no photos, but as things open up I thought I had better get cooking again.
The main panic was the broken on/off switch on the smoker, so had to repair that first.

But gave me a buzz to try things again, so will have to start doing more and back to the photos. :D

;D
My name is Wod, but most people just call me Wod.

Mid:
Clanger, Wodster, Gwig, Playernotfound, Fokke, Horth, Eter.

Former Hib for my past sins!
Awod,Dowa,Bearian,Mambopoa,Hijambo

Introducing binge drinking to the world!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up

BlackRain , 2006 by Crip

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal