The Dark Alliance

• 29 March, 2024, 01:00:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TS3 server has a new IP, read here for more info (only available to TDA members)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Read a book  (Read 30801 times)

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
Read a book
« on: 18 December, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »

As I'm a big fan of books and have read a wide variety of different genres I'd like to share this particular author.

http://www.amazon.com/Jan-Guillou/e/B001HPO9L8/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

I'm sure some of you are familiar with atleast some of his productions.

I just finished reading his "sort of" self biography, Ondskan (Evil), and I'd like to promote it as a good book.

I can't say that I have a favorite author as I read so many different genres, phantasy, thrillers, horror, pure fiction and a few others. One genre that I really like is phantasy, especially vampire novells. And yes I've read all books by Stephanie Meyers (Twilight author). But there are so many other, unknown, authors out there who has written some amazing novells that kept me awake way past my bedtime ;).

So, why this post?

I dunno really, I just want to share my love for books and share some good books/authors for anyone interested in it and maybe discuss a little about what you like.
Dennis "Sagafar"
GW2 - Ossi Kvarn and some other Ossi's with different last name, oh and Medvind and a few other randoms.
LotRO - Kaio, Kaiho, Ossi, Keijo
DAoC - Kod, Phule, Kawa, Sax and like 20 others

Xeneldix

• TDA member
  • Forum Guru
    • Personal Website
Re: Read a book
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »

Books are the best gates to a virtual world! - better than any game imo, shame just I find mashing keys far easier commitment :P - should read more (on hols, with no computer normally eat through 3-4 books)

Never been into much of fantasy book myself (aside from must read Tolkien before everybody jumped on the film wagon), but is not cause wouldn't enjoy them, just there is too many books that call my attention from multiple genres!

Currently reading Papillon and loving it.
Xenn
Mesmer: Phantasm | Condition | Hybrid | Shatter
Guardian | Necro | Ele
EVE - Online: Xenn Mia
AA - Kyprosa: Xenn - Darkrunner

delay

• Official Blametaker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Master
  • Rest in peace, Dotrella and JP.
« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »

Thanks for bringing up the topic! :D

I wish games weren't such an easy escape from everything, with such a low demand on concentration... I would read so much more...

I've enjoyed Desmond Bagley in my youth, some Terry Pratchett, and lately my definite favorite series has been the Malazan Book of the Fallen (just some 11,000 pages total) by Steven Erikson.
DAoC US: Tonje, Delayed, Lynvingen
DAoC Uthgard: Asmegin, Lynvingen

() ()
(f;.;)f
(")(")

[Chat] Lembit: "if delay aint coming back is there a point of going on?"
Quote from: joap
tks jack, should i spank delay anyway?

SIzzling

• TDA member
  • Forum hasbeen
  • NomNom Pie...
    • CampSpy
« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »

I personally do really like fantasy books, and ever since eBooks became popular i've actually been reading more than i used to, as they're so convenient in bus / train. Currently reading The Temeraire series , which I thought was quite original. It's about a British navy captain in the time of Napoleon. Everything is 'normal' except for the existence of dragons (quite rare). Also recently read The mistborn series which is way more fantasy-like, but I really enjoyed that too.

My favourite writer is probably Terry Pratchett, as you just know whenever you buy any of his books that you'll be entertained. And luckily there are a lot of them :D

Non fantasy type books, I like James Clavell's books and also Tom Clancy's novels.

I'm not really into literature though as I just don't find them entertaining :) Gonna check out some of the books mentioned here, nice! :)
TDA Officer (multivira.7925)
IGN: Twirling, Sizzling, Twiddling, Sprinkling, Shrouding, Scything, Slinking, Scourging, Stomping

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »

Oh Papillion, I've only seen the movie but I'll give the book a go when I get my hands on it.

Pratchett is quite different, he has a weird mind when it comes to making up stories imo, tho I've read only 5 or 6 books of him so can't say that's the case for all of his books.

I enjoy reading several books that are in "series", like Lord of the rings, Twilight and a bunch of others. And on that topic I want to promote Stieg Larson's Trilogy - Millenium
Dennis "Sagafar"
GW2 - Ossi Kvarn and some other Ossi's with different last name, oh and Medvind and a few other randoms.

delay

• Official Blametaker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »

I was given one of Larson's books for x-mas one year. Haven't read it, partly because I found the one movie in the series that I've seen very uncomfortable - and since books usually go further in provoking feelings I guess the theme of the series simply isn't for me.

Reading Frederick Forsyth's Dogs of War at the moment. "The moment" is a stretch as I've been reading it since bloody summer - it's so dull... I think I have to call it a financial thriller. The book is so much about how they're organizing stock trades and tricking systems, and what they buy and where... 58 pages left, maybe I finish it before I leave so I don't have to bring it :p

edit: My father agreed that Dogs of War is a boring book, and gave me three other books from his shelf.
Two novels by Martin Cruz Smith (in his Arkady Renko series), plus Rising Sun by Michael Crichton. Guess I've got plans for when the female unit is at work this x-mas.
« Last Edit: 20 December, 2013, 02:19:19 PM by delay »

() ()
(f;.;)f
(")(")

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #6 on: 20 December, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »

Delay, which film was it? The swedish and the american versions are quite different, I prefer the swedish version a lot more simply bcse I believe that's more close to what the book is all about.

Btw, what part of the film made you feel like that?
Dennis "Sagafar"

Muylae

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »

Daniel Dennett, Darwins dangerous idea.
Richard Dawkins, An appetite for wonder.
Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, why does e=mc²?, The quantum universe.
Lawrence Krauss, Atom, an odyssey from the big bang to life on earth and beyond.
Richard Feynman, six easy pieces, six not so easy pieces, the character of physical law.  (i started the 'feynman lectures on physics' too, but i have to admit that's out of my league, those 3 volumes would take me years to even partially understand i think.  the math is just too complex for me to follow)
Jarred Diamond, Guns, germs and steel, Collapse, The third chimpanzee, The world until yesterday.
Christopher Hitchens, Arguably.

... and a few other books slated my thirst for reading over the last 6 months.  i read more than i watch Tv.

delay

• Official Blametaker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #8 on: 21 December, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

One of the Swedish ones. I'm guessing Flickan som lekte med elden. I think the overall story made me uneasy in general, and the rape scene in particular was very uncomfortable to watch. I know it's meant to be - part of the story and all - but it's just not what I want to watch. I also saw Män som hatar kvinnor, getting the same general feeling. I guess I just prefer feel-good stuff.

Muylae: that looks awfully geeky. I think I will have to get a hold of some of those books :D

() ()
(f;.;)f
(")(")

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »

I can see why some of us have a hard time watching the film since it's indeed some nasty scenes in it. Though I read the books before I saw the movies so I knew what to come and the book didn't gave me the same feeling allthough it's different when it comes to details n stuff. Too bad you feel too uncomfortable since it's a really good read but enough is enough I guess :)
Dennis "Sagafar"

Aerendur

• Sneaky Bastard
  • TDA member
  • Forum Master
« Reply #10 on: 21 December, 2013, 06:08:17 PM »

Some nice possible new books in here, cool.

Right now I'm reading some easy going stuff:
1. Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time book 14.
2. Inferno, Dan Brown (da vinca code).
3. Dutch author brain book.

Sagafar

• TDA member
  • Forum willbe
« Reply #11 on: 22 December, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »

Inferno is a kick ass book, read it in just a few days which doesn't happen to often when it comes to me. Just couldn't put it down once I started reading, fell asleep with the book in me hands for 3 straight evenings. :)
Dennis "Sagafar"

Hanza

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • Dotrella, JP, we miss you
« Reply #12 on: 23 December, 2013, 12:46:38 PM »

hehe i am also a book eater when travelling and so on...

i m very suprised that on the whole lot of you only Nayna has mentionned robert jordan Wheel of time. it is definatly one of the best saga  that has been written in the past years... unfortunatly the author died before finishing. last ook has been written by his son tho.

the song of fire and ice from GRR Martin is also great... more famous under the name: Game of Throne (wich is actually only the name of the first book)

David Gemmel is also a very good one. most books are stand alone, but some characters are redundant and you can follow some cycles (druss) the guy was war reporter... wich gives a special type of writting, some kind of short and violant that i pretty enjoyed.

Robin Hobb is also nice with the farseer trilogy and some other saga.

Tolkien and pratchet are not even to be mentionned since they are such classics :)

delay you were refering to "the girl with the dragon tatoo" right ? i ve seen the swedish movie that was quite good. my brother's wife is reading the follow up and other books from this author and she really loves it so i assume it can be recommanded :)
DAoC: Hanza shamy 50 RR7 - Retired
WAR: Hanza 40 Zealot RR 40ish - Retired
RIFT: Galaad Warrior - Hanza Cleric - Retired
TSW Hanza : Illuminaty - Elenya : Dragon
GW2: Ahlia Plast : Ely  Hanza plast: Ingeneer

------ proud member of TDA ---------

delay

• Official Blametaker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #13 on: 23 December, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »

Yeah, Hanza, that's the series we were talking about :)

() ()
(f;.;)f
(")(")

Joric

• TDA member
  • Forum Master
  • Let me guess... problems.
« Reply #14 on: 29 December, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »

After a longer break I started to read Monk and Columbo stories. Lightweight - to say so - can put it away and start over later etc. A few days ago I found a books with Roald Dahl stories... So, the urge is growing again ;-)

Happy reading!
I hum along and make things hum...
Uthgard: Jorunn / Skald
ESO: Yuto / Templar
GW2: Jo Ric / Thief, Irwy / Guardian, Ngumi / Warrior
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

BlackRain , 2006 by Crip

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 28 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal